The second meal in our #5dayWeqayaChallenge is Warm and Nutty Cinnamon Quinoa, a low-calorie variation on oatmeal. Quinoa is naturally gluten-free and has a low carb content. This warm and spice-filled recipe is a great start to any day.
- Pour a cup and a half of water into a medium-sized pot, and place on high heat. Pour the uncooked quinoa into the water. Wait for the water to begin to boil. Stir the quinoa as the water is boiling to ensure it does not stick to the pot. Wait for most of the water to dry out.
- When there is no excess water left in the pot, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cover the pot. Leave the quinoa covered on low heat for ten minutes. Then, remove the top, stir the quinoa, which will have expanded in volume. Your quinoa is done, place in a separate plate and set aside.
- Set a medium pan to medium to high heat. Add the almond milk, or whatever milk is preferred, and allow it to come to a boil.
- Stir in the cinnamon to the boiling milk, then immediately add the cooked quinoa.
- [Optional. Mix in a sweetener of choice.]
- Stir until the milk dries up, then lower the heat and add the pecans.
- Pour into a bowl and enjoy! Customize with your favorite nuts and fruits.
Alexa Mena is a multidisciplinary artist and media editor for livehealthy.ae. When she's not writing for livehealthy, she's thinking about design and how it shapes the human experience.