“We had no idea how we were going to do it at first but after lots of experimenting, practising and tweaking, we were happy and confident with what we had come up with,” said Lampa.
Vegan Sausage Meat Mixture
- 100g chickpeas
- 100g black eyed beans
- 50g dal lentils
- 50g mushroom duxelles
- 50g celery
- 50g carrot
- 5g sage
- 10g garlic
- 10g tapioca starch
- 1tsp thyme
Vegan Egg White
- 100g tofu
- 300g water
- 1½ tsp agar agar
- 50g salt
- 300g red capsicum
- 200g red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp agar agar
Coating – Vegan Breadcrumbs
- 120ml soy milk
- 150g flour
- Salt to season flour
- Pepper to season flour
- 150g Vegan breadcrumbs
Vegan Sausage Meat
- Soak the lentils and beans in water overnight.
- Blanch the soaked lentils in boiling water until they are soft.
- Blend the mushrooms in a food processor and transfer to a saucepan with the thyme and garlic.
- Cook slowly for 30 minutes until the excess water has evaporated and the mix is dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate pan, add the finely diced carrots and celery and cook slowly until soft.
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl with the tapioca starch and mix. Add more salt if needed.
Vegan Egg White
- Blend the tofu and water together until smooth and transfer to a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and whisk in the agar agar for two minutes.
- Transfer to small egg moulds and set aside.
Vegan Egg Yolk
- Slice the peppers and onions, transfer to a deep saucepan, and slowly cook until soft.
- Top up with one litre of water and reduce until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add back to the saucepan and bring to a boil, whisk in the agar for two minutes and set aside.
- Take the egg white from mould and cover with 150g of the vegan sausage meat to form a scotch egg.
- Roll in flour then into the soy milk and then into the vegan breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry for 5 minutes at 170°C.
- Drain on paper towel then cut in half.
- Using a teaspoon scoop out the shape of an egg yolk from the middle of the egg white.
- Fill the hole with the egg yolk mixture.
- Season with black pepper and enjoy!