Join us in embracing a healthy diet this week with five different Weqaya-approved recipes, courtesy of Basiligo.
The first meal in our #5dayWeqayaChallenge is Italian Pesto Zucchini Noodles, one of Basiligo’s most popular mains. It can be eaten for lunch or dinner, and can be modified to suit any diet, including vegan, vegetarian or paleo. Packed with heart-healthy nutrients, and a third of the calories, zucchini noodles are a great alternative to pasta.
- Place the basil and the pine nuts in a food processor or high speed blender and pulse until the pine nuts break down.
- Add the garlic and romano cheese and pulse several more times.
- If using a food processor, pour in the extra virgin olive oil while the food processor is running. If using a blender, add the olive oil and pulse several times.
- Stir in the salt and ground pepper, according to taste. Your pesto sauce is done! Set it aside.
- Spiralize, shred or finely slice the zucchini (courgette) lengthwise, as shown below.
- Place a wok or large frying pan on the stove, set to medium heat. Add a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and tomatoes. Sauté the garlic and tomatoes for around five minutes. Then add the pesto and zucchini noodles. Sauté for around seven minutes.
- (Optional. Add the shrimp, or other forms of protein, and sauté until thoroughly cooked.)
- Take your noodles out of the wok and enjoy! Sprinkle any leftover basil leaves, or pine nuts, on top to garnish.