How many of us give any thought to having an annual check-up on our health? After all, we wouldn’t dream of not taking the car in for its annual inspection, to make sure everything is running as it should, so why don’t we do the same for our own bodies and minds? And with everyone talking about bath bombs, face masks and candles, when you think about it, a yearly visit to your general practitioner is the ultimate in self-care.
“Annual medical check-ups are a really important factor in maintaining long term health but it’s surprising how few people actually make it a priority,” says Dr Salvin George, specialist in internal medicine at Medicare Hospital Al Safa.
Keeping tabs on our health is vital if we are to keep on top of any problems and the best way to do that is to nip those problems in the bud or better still, be aware of any issues before they become problems.
Take it from Dr George: “As a healthcare practitioner, I cannot stress enough how important these annual check-ups are.”
According to the staff at Medcare Hospitals and Medical Center, here are five very good reasons for booking an annual check-up soon:
- Early detection: Routine testing means any underlying medical conditions are spotted, even if you are not yet experiencing any symptoms. As everyone knows, the earlier an illness or condition is diagnosed, the better the chances of treatment working effectively and the less likely that the condition will become more severe.
- Preventative care: Medicine has made, and continues to make, spectacular advances, but no doctor would disagree with the old adage “prevention is better than cure.” An annual check-up is a good time to talk about your long-term health. Is there anything in your family history that is causing you concern? Are you worried about your lifestyle or need advice? Having a thorough and comprehensive medical history means your doctor is better able to fully assess your health, take action if needed and generally keep track of your health.
- Health planning: Isn’t it a good idea to have a health plan that is tailor-made for you and is specific to your needs? The medical world increasingly takes the view that, whether we’re talking about improving your current state of health and fitness or maintaining it over the next year, there is no one-size-fits-all plan. Personalized medicine is the way forward. An annual check-up also enables your doctor to have a benchmark and to keep a check on what’s working well for you and what isn’t.
- Fast-track Treatment: A regular check-up means that if tests reveal anything, additional testing or treatment can begin immediately.
- Alleviating health anxiety: Are you worried about whether treatment you’ve had in the past has really worked? We all know about the “worried well” (and they can be a bit of a nuisance) but everyone needs a degree of reassurance that all is as it should be – or if it isn’t, that our doctor can start dealing with it pronto.
• Medicare Hospitals and Medical Centres have a vast range of specialist doctors and therapists and are offering a selection of health check-up packages starting from Dh1,499.
Anna Pukas has reported from all over the world as a foreign correspondent for British media. She is now an editor based in Abu Dhabi.